Fasten your seat belt, today we’re flying to an exotic French territory: New Caledonia! Franck, the lovely person in charge of the reception of the Nouméa Tourist Office shares his knowledge of New Caledonia and the local culture. We’ll talk about what there is to see around the islands, travel tips, the traditional dish and local customs and the sense of belonging and identity of the Caledonians. So Franck has also become addicted to French Voices, which is one year old now! So you’ll also hear me celebrate 28 interviews with fascinating people…with a song!
[05 min 30 sec] A few facts about New Caledonia
[08 min 30 sec] A cultural and linguistic melting pot
[12 min 36 sec] What to see in Noumea
[15 min 24 sec] What to see further from Noumea
[17 min 23 sec] The best way to visit New Caledonia
[19 min 13 sec] The best time of the year to visit
[21 min 20 sec] Traditional dish
[24 min 20 sec] Making custom: how and when
[26 min 41 sec] The New Caledonian sense of identity/belonging
[28 min 17 sec] An anthem for New Caledonia
[29 min 34 sec] About Franck and the Noumea Tourist office
Links & Resources
- Website (Nouméa Tourist Office) : office-tourisme.nc
- Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Office-de-Tourisme-de-Noum%C3%A9a-360750664084558/
- Site : document « Customary gestures » « making custom » (= le geste coutumier) http://www.office-tourisme.nc/sites/default/files/Customary%20gestures%20guide.pdf
- About “Soyons unis, devenons frères”, New Caledonia anthem (Plamen Tzontchev) : info, lyrics and translation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyons_unis,_devenons_fr%C3%A8res
- Listen to some versions of the anthem: https://melodia.olympe.in/enregistrements.htm
Did you like this podcast? You can support my work by leaving a review on iTunes. Your kind words warm my heart and also help me be found by more passionate learners of French. Merci beaucoup!
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and never miss a new episode!
Photos: Courtesy of Franck from the Nouméa Tourist Office