Buy Full Notes
On my last trip to France, I was welcomed by the mayor of my hometown for an interview at the town hall – in the meeting room, which is also the official room where marriages are celebrated. Find out how a French mayor is elected, what his roles are, facts about getting married in France and much more!
A mayor and another occupation
What made E.Dhuicq run for mayor?
The ballot and office staff list
How and for how long a French mayor is elected
The prerequisites to run for mayor
The roles of a mayor
Funding / Money
Projects and initiatives
What do French citizens go to the town hall for?
Getting married in France
Something unique in Montmirail
adjoint, e (n) = deputy, second-in-command, assistant
agriculteur, -trice = farmer
brie (nm) = brie cheese
colza (nm) = rape, canola
commune (nf) = town, municipality, village
conseil général (nm) = departmental council
conseiller général (nm) = regional concillor
cultiver = to cultivate, to grow, to farm
écharpe (nf) = scarf
état civil (nm) = register of births, marriages and deaths
gendarmerie (nf) = police force
hôtel de ville (nm) = town hall, city hall
impôt (nm) = tax, levy
impôt foncier (nm) = property tax
mairie (nf) = town hall, city hall
mandat (nm) = mandate
nommer = to appoint, to nominate
orge (n) = barley
parcelle (nf) = plot, parcel
passer devant le maire = to get married
préfecture (nf) = prefecture, administrative center
régalien,ne = sovereign (power)
remparts (nm.pl) = city walls, rempart, fortification
salubrité = hygiene, salubrity
scrutin (nm) = poll, ballot, vote
se fâcher avec = to get angry with
taxe d’habitation (nf) = council tax
- (Part 1) Does E.Dhuicq make a living from being the mayor of Montmirail?
- (Part 1) Which crops does E.Dhuicq grow?
- (Part 2) Why was there a new election in Montmirail in 1992?
- (Part 3) Where do you register a birth in France?
- (Part 4) What are the 3 mandatory elements for a marriage to be valid in France?
- Mayor is only a function and he is a farmer.
- He grows wheat, barley, canola, cereals, beetroot
- The mayor had been killed in a car accident.
- At the town hall of the place of birth.
- It is in a dedicated room (it’s not possible to change room), in front of the bust of Marianne and the mayor (or one deputy) must be wearing the tricolour scarf
Links & Resources
- FV 068: (Part 1) Discover the history of my hometown with greeter Marie-Christine Poisson: frenchyourway.com.au/podcast68
- FV 069: (Part 2) Discover the history of my hometown with greeter Marie-Christine: frenchyourway.com.au/podcast69
- My article: “French presidential election: 12 facts about the election process in France”: http://frenchyourway.com.au/french-presidential-election-process
Did you like this podcast? You can support my work by leaving a review on iTunes. Your kind words warm my heart and also help me be found by more passionate learners of French. Merci beaucoup!
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and never miss a new episode!