In this fun activity, you will work on:
- how to ask questions in French
- your French pronunciation
- the pace of your speech / your oral fluency : if you pause for too long, Siri will think that you were done asking your question and you will have to start again!
1. Set Siri to French language
Settings > General > Siri > Language > French
2. Try to answer the questions below.
Find out the information using only your voice!
Download and print out my free PDF French pronunciation worksheet. Includes the answers.
- Hold down the main button of your iPhone to start Siri.
- Ask Siri your question in French.
- Check what Siri understood (the transcription of what Siri “heard”). This can help you identify any mistake or pronunciation issue.
- Keep track of the number of attempts you had before Siri answered your question.
Note: take it with a grain of salt. Although voice recognition softwares are becoming more and more efficient and reliable, they are not perfect!
I’ve had times when Siri understood something totally different from what I said, and it once tried to call a business contact of my husband late at night (I was playing with his phone, discovering the Siri feature and having a blast). My husband was mortified and didn’t want me to play with his phone anymore after that!!
Still, I have tested this activity with my students. It worked pretty well and we had a lot of fun while learning French pronunciation!
Find the following information:
1. What Molière’s date of birth is.
2. What time it is in Paris.
3. What the weather is like in Bordeaux.
4. How many legs a centipede* has. (*a centipede= un mille-pattes)
5. How long a giraffe lives.
6. What the best season to plant tomatoes is.
7. What Paris’s best hotel is.
8. What year penicillin* has been created. (*la pénicilline)
9. What languages Siri can speak.
How to Make the Most of This Activity
Feel free to make up your own questions and, why not, to engage in a fun conversation with Siri… in French of course!
If you have experienced difficulties with this activity, try to assess what they are:
- Did you experience problems with how to structure a question in French?
- Do you need to work more on your French pronunciation? Take your time to articulate slowly and clearly.
- Did you have any other difficulty ?
Hopefully, this will encourage you to keep playing with Siri in French, and maybe also set your phone to French language so that you can add a bit of French practice in your everyday life!
Don’t hesitate to leave your feedback, I’d love to know how you went. 🙂
Please spread the word if you’ve found this French pronunciation activity helpful. Merci!