What is the traditional pathway followed by French children? How does the French school system work? Is it enforcing inequalities or addressing them? Do French pupils wear a uniform? Learn about the French school system in this episode! I’ll also give you plenty of vocabulary of course…as well as my thoughts about the pros and cons of French schools!
Vocabulary and Spelling of the French Words mentioned in this episode
éducation (fem) = education, teaching, tuition, instruction
instruction (fem) = education
Instruction gratuite, laïque et obligatoire (Jules Ferry)
Une matière = a school subject
Redoubler = to repeat (class)
Le primaire, l’école primaire : le CP, CE1, CE2, CM1, CM2
Tu es en quelle classe ? Je suis en CE2.
Le collège : la 6 ème, la 5ème, la 4ème , la 3ème
Le brevet des collèges
Le lycée : la seconde, la première, la Terminale
Le bac, le baccalauréat
Le coefficient = coefficient, multiplying factor
L’université, la fac / la faculté : la licence (+3), le Master (+5) le Doctorat
Une thèse = a thesis
LINKS and RESOURCES
- “Système éducatif français” (Wikipedia) : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syst%C3%A8me_%C3%A9ducatif_fran%C3%A7ais
- Episode 138: (PART 1) Back to school: French vocabulary and culture : frenchyourway.com.au/podcast138
- Episode 139: (PART 2) Back to school: French vocabulary and culture : frenchyourway.com.au/podcast139
- French Voices, Episode 11 : Being a Primary School Teacher in Rural France: frenchvoicespodcast.com.au/episode11
- Episode 32: How to Tell if a French Noun is Masculine or Feminine (Part 1): frenchyourway.com.au/podcast32
- Episode 33 : How to Tell if a French Noun is Masculine or Feminine (Part 2): frenchyourway.com.au/podcast33
- (My article) “Masculine or Feminine? Telling the Gender of French Nouns”: https://frenchyourway.com.au/gender-of-french-nouns
Thank You for Tuning In!
There are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, but you chose mine, and I’m grateful for that. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the side or bottom of this page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!