In today’s episode I wanted to go over both the English and French words “supporter” and their meanings.
Vocabulary and Spelling of the French Words mentioned in this episode
Un supporter (English pronunciation) = supporter nm
supporter une équipe = support, back, cheer on (sports team)
(Politics) sympathisant, sympathisante
(of idea) défenseur, partisan
Prendre parti = to take side
Supporter = to support, to hold up (a weight)
Ces vieilles poutres supportent encore le toit.= These old beams still support the roof
supporter = put up with, accept, tolerate, bear, stand
Nos voisins ne supportent pas le bruit
supporter = to accept, to bear, to cope with, to handle
C’est terrible, il ne supporte pas qu’on le contredise ! = It’s awful; he can’t handle being contradicted.
se supporter = to tolerate each other, to stand each other, stand one another
Mes parents ne se supportent plus.= My parents can’t stand each other any more.
LINKS and RESOURCES
- Episode 106 : « Je me lave, vous vous appelez, etc.: what are reflexive verbs ? » : frenchyourway.com.au/podcast106
- Episode 135: “False friends (faux amis): inhabitant”: frenchyourway.com.au/podcast135
- Episode 133: “PART 4 – 10 common false friends (= faux amis) in French and English”:: frenchyourway.com.au/podcast133
- False friends, part 1: Episode 85- frenchyourway.com.au/podcast85
- False friends, part 2: Episode 103- frenchyourway.com.au/podcast103
- False friends, part 3: Episode 118 – frenchyourway.com.au/podcast118
Thank You for Tuning In!
There are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, but you chose mine, and I’m grateful for that. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the side or bottom of this page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!